Quick actions at an apartment on Tuesday helped suppress a structure fire in Swift Current's northeast end.

The tenant of the unit grabbed a nearby fire extinguisher once he noticed the blaze and swiftly called emergency services. The Swift Current Fire Department arrived soon after the call came in and doused the remainder of the fire. 

"Lots of people hear us when we're out doing our annual fire inspections to test their fire extinguishers or have them serviced regularly, this was a great reminder of that, Swift Current Fire Department Deputy Chief Pete L'Heureux said. "Test them, service them, know where they are."    

According to a release by the City of Swift Current this morning, the inferno was contained to the area of origin, with no further damage to the unit or apartment complex. 

"When dealing with a fire in an apartment complex, there is a risk of the fire spreading further, affecting the building and multiple tenants," Ryan Hunter, the Swift Current Fire Department fire chief, said.

Another tool to keep people safe from potential fires is up-to-date smoke detectors.