Watch what you heat.

Numerous southwest residents enjoy cooking, but did you know it's the leading cause of home fires?

The Swift Current Fire Department has already responded to 3 kitchen fires so far this year.

Deputy Fire Chief Albert Headrich says a good chunk of kitchen fires are started by stoves being left on.

Headrich also adds if a grease fire starts in a pan, always smother the flames by placing the lid over the pan, and to never put watre on a grease fire, as that will escalate the flames.