Last Friday, the Swift Current Rural Fire Department stomped out a ruthless structure fire. 

The blaze consumed the totality of a 12'x12' pump house, located on a farm property. 

The suspected cause of the flames, according to Louis Cherpin, fire chief for the Swift Current Rural Fire Department, is believed to be an electrical short.  

"It's still under investigation," clarrified Cherpin. "But all the preliminary investigations [point towards an] electrical short."

 Fire crews arrived on scene at 1 p.m., and spent two hours dousing the fire. By the time they extinguished it, the pump house was reduced to little more than ashes. 

"When we heard structure fire, we called everybody that's needed," said Cherpin. "SaskPower, SaskEnergy, and RCMP all showed up, but their services were not needed for this call."

Cherpin warns that as the snow melts and the dry conditions return, there will be a higher risk for fires. Even if the cause of this one was a short circuit in the power lines, other fires may erupt from things like hot asphalt on the side of a grassy ditch, overheating farm equipment, and other sources. 

It's important to keep an extinguisher at hand, and for rural workers to have them in all their tractors, swathers, sprayers, and other large equipment. 

If anyone sees smoke, flames, or other fire indicators like scorch marks or still glowing embers, they can call 911 to report it.