Two people suffered minor injuries in a house fire last night in Swift Current.

At around 8:24pm, fire and emergency crews were called out to a basement suite fire on the 1300 block of Chaplin Street.

Upon arrival, Fire Fighters discovered heavy smoke coming from the basement suite.

Crews entered the building, and found the kitchen area on fire.

Thankfully, the building had inter-connected smoke alarms and alerted tenants who were able to escape quickly.

EMT’s treated one person for a minor hand burn and another for minor smoke inhalation.

The suite suffered heavy smoke damage.

The cause of the fire was due to a stove left on by one of the tenants.

No charges have been laid at this time.